It is week 20 in the review of the CRM Field Guide chapters from the book – The CRM Field Guide – How to CRM Like an MVP with Microsoft Dynamics CRM. This week it is the 11 page Customization Strategies and Solution Management chapter.
There are 3 ways that the CRM system can be customized.
- Simple Customizations
- Add New Entities
- Add new fields to standard or custom entities
- Modify the data entry forms
- Create custom reports
- Add custom views
- Create charts and dashboards
- Enhanced Customizations
- Adding Jscript to the data entry form
- Include related web pages using the Site Map and iFrames
- Modifying the ribbon bar to add functionality
- Advanced Customizations
- Customize the user interface via Silverlight, HTML or Jscript
- Custom workflow activities
- Custom business logic extensions – called plugins
The author takes us through Customization 101 – the gathering of requirements and then covers Customization 102 – developing a detailed plan which is the creation of the functional requirements.
Then there is an introductory explanation of creating a development environment so that you can set up the system correctly for development and test without creating issues in your production environment.